Sunday 13 October 2013

Heineken Cup - Match Report




Just a little Sunday article for my fans. Many of you are recovering from a big night on the duck sauce, others have just listened to a Sermon at the local Eglise. Anyway enough of that - here is my second blog.


What can I say my last blog was right on the money and to be honest I know most of my fans out there wouldn’t be surprised, as my rugby brain is second to none! The White Knights did get a victory on Friday night 22-16 and yes the ‘Ginger Prince’ Jackson pulled strings like a puppet as I predicted.  Richard Cockerill and Paul Burke or should I say JohnJo Shelvey left Belfast with only a single point on Friday night. However I did happen to see Miles Benjamin in the Ollie’s VIP queue on that night with his kicking coach so clearly he fancied an extended trip before he headed back to the East-Midlands. There were no tears and rain for Ben Youngs this time, however just before the interval good old Paul Marshall Mathers danced round him producing a stunning break to create a great platform for Ulster to generate quick ball.   My favorite part of the night was seeing the ‘lads’ on the big screen, Mcllroy, Ferris and Afoa and of course my good mate Adam Macklin was getting Sky game time which is great for an up and coming prop. However I did hear someone from the stand shout ‘why is Jerry Cronin back with Ulster?’ The Ulster faithful didn’t let me down on Friday and combining this with the band, it’s the16th man, which makes all the difference. I even managed to see a Ricky Flutey being played in the crowd, which is a first!



Key Match Ups


Fitzpatrick vs. Mulipola

At times over the last few seasons, many have asked if Fitzpatrick prefers to be in the stand rather than on the pitch. However on Friday night the Owen Hargreaves of Ulster rugby came into his own. His heroic battle with Mulipola aka Shane Byrne was great to watch, even if Fitzpatrick did have face-paint on for 70 minutes.  Mulipola gained the upper hand early on and was rewarded for this with a try in the far corner. Fair play to Benoit Baby Face Fitzpatrick he fought back with resilience and proved to the Ulster faithful he is worth his place.




Cave vs. Goneva

Let’s set the record straight with Darren Cave. ‘Golden balls’ might not have Usain bolt’s spikes however if you don’t appreciate what he offers Ulster Rugby then your rugby knowledge needs to be addressed. Yes, I understand Declan Kidney would rather have picked Dennis Hurley or even a Munster Junior Cup player at 13 for Ireland, but that’s a different kettle of fish for another day. It’s not only his defensive attributes but his link up play and his awareness on the pitch can’t be ignored.  I just hope for Cave that Joe Schmidt is a Blackburn fan and likes ‘away days’ to Elland Road because with ‘Irelands ‘local hero’ and ‘headband king’ Fergus McFadden in the mix this appears to be a real stumbling block. His opposite man Goneva has varied his game massively in the last 12 months and looked sharp. He has made the transition from wing to centre and looked for the outside break time and time again. It was great viewing however I felt Cave edged it on Friday.


Payne vs. Morris

I am not sure if the Kiwi can get any better. The difference in class between the two Full Backs was very obvious.  When I first saw Morris run on to the pitch I actually thought he was looking for the Velodrome in his Red Lycra undershorts. He battled hard for 80 Minutes, however the gaps in-between him and his wingers were enough for the 7A bus to stop and get pensioner Johan Muller a ticket into town and back before the Leicester wingers returned. Payne was exquisite and covered every blade of grass for 80minutes his tactical kicking and positional play is superb.  I am sure Ireland can’t wait for next June when he becomes eligible to wear the green jersey.


Jackson vs. Flood

I can’t write a blog without mentioning the tens, but I will keep this match – up short. On Friday night the ‘Ginger Prince’ had a great tussle with Tobias Flood.  The two internationals showed their class varying their game and their decision-making throughout the night. However I have to mention Tobias and his five-minute goal kicking routine, you would think he is in the Kop End watching Michael O’Neils green and white army, as he does the bouncy at least three times before he strikes the ball.


Overview

As I predicted it was a ‘special night’ and if Mourhino didn’t watch it Mcllroy did. Next for Ulster is a trip to France to see, Jim Nagusa and his mates. Montpellier are a quality outfit with Francois Trinh- Duc steering the HSS ship.
Prediction - The White knights to fight and gain a losing bonus point. 

Once again thanks for reading …….SUFTUM


No comments:

Post a Comment